writers [Theme]

Writing is not life yet, but sometimes, I think, it can be the path of life. I discovered this in the summer of 1999, when I almost died under a van.
№ 465985   Added MegaMozg 16-04-2024 / 03:54
It happens that detective authors, following the example of their characters, do not leave any traces in literature.
Quote Explanation: In the book's annotation, from the editor-compiler. Full text: “It happens that detective authors, following the example of their characters, do not leave any traces in literature. So, we didn’t publish such things.”
№ 465811   Added MegaMozg 12-04-2024 / 16:48
At first it seemed like it was even fun to invent characters and their actions, pull strings, move the plot here or there. And then suddenly it turned out that there was no mention of any invention, that the plot was moving not according to her wishes, but according to its own, that actions were not invented, but happened as if by themselves. The famous Pushkin Imagine,
Quote Explanation: The story about the independent behavior of Pushkin’s heroine is known from the stories of Leo Tolstoy. When he was reproached for treating Anna Karenina too cruelly, he responded with this phrase from Pushkin.
№ 465749   Added MegaMozg 10-04-2024 / 15:15
That's how it happened. Happened with every new book. At first, everything falls apart, crumbles like paper that has dried out over time, and the characters all look the same, and events scatter like streams from a broken cup. And then suddenly something clicks in the mechanism of the universe... And the characters take on their own faces. And the plot ceases to be invented, it no longer needs the author’s instructions, it itself knows perfectly well where to go.
№ 465722   Added MegaMozg 10-04-2024 / 03:18
A writer without a publisher is empty space. Zero without a stick. But a publisher without an author would never give in to anyone. Symbiosis.
№ 465714   Added MegaMozg 09-04-2024 / 16:12
Some of my well-wishers have chosen a rather strange way to console me. More than once I have heard suspiciously unctuous voices: nothing,
Quote Explanation: From a letter to Pavlo Popov, 1937.
№ 465495   Added MegaMozg 01-04-2024 / 15:12
Stories and novels are not souvenir T-shirts or wooden football players. These are relics, remnants of an undiscovered pre-existing world. The writer’s job is to use the tools in his toolbox to get them out of the ground, damaging them as little as possible. Sometimes the fossil is small, just a shell. Sometimes huge, a Tyrannosaurus rex with all its giant ribs and bared teeth. In any case - a short story or a thousand-page novel - the excavation technique is essentially the same.
№ 465477   Added MegaMozg 01-04-2024 / 09:15
The pain I'm destined to endure.
№ 465315   Added MegaMozg 01-04-2024 / 01:09
... always, when I see the first novel dedicated to a wife (or husband), I smile and think: Here
Quote Explanation: One of King's first novels, Carrie, would not have been published if not for his wife Tabitha. She pulled the manuscript out of the trash can and convinced him to send it to the publishing house.
№ 465152   Added MegaMozg 26-03-2024 / 20:03
I know you asked what it means to be a writer, and I’m writing you some nonsense. But that’s just nonsense, Ma—I’m not embellishing anything. I'm belittling. This is what writing is, after all, about: you stoop so low that the world offers a new merciful perspective, a panorama of little things; the lint suddenly turns into a sheet of fog the size of your eyeball.
№ 464898   Added Viker 19-03-2024 / 13:00
How could I explain that you were talking about writing? How to say that we are so close that the shadows of our hands merge on adjacent pages.
№ 464860   Added Viker 19-03-2024 / 12:54
Gould said something else that was interesting to me on the day of my first two notes: write with the door closed, rewrite with the door open. Your writing begins for yourself, in other words, but then it goes out into the world. When you understand what a thing is and do it right - at least as best you can - it belongs to everyone who wants to read it. Or criticize. If you are very lucky (this is my idea, but I think John Gould would have subscribed to it), there will be more of the former than the latter.
Quote Explanation: This was the advice given to young Stephen King by editor John Gould.
№ 464697   Added Viker 19-03-2024 / 12:29
This condition was first described by Westphal in 1872 as a disease of fear of large open spaces.
№ 463186   Added MegaMozg 13-03-2024 / 13:27
But I started to write another thing - and nothing came of it - I furiously tore up five pages. And now it’s okay, it’s rolling - maybe I’ll even take off from the ground on wheels and that two-winged shadow will run across the paper, for the sake of which it’s only worth writing.
Quote Explanation: From a letter to his wife Vera.
№ 463175   Added Viker 13-03-2024 / 13:09
The Lord writes every book. By the hands of the author.
Quote Explanation: From the lecture “About Harry Potter”
№ 462403   Added Viker 05-02-2024 / 19:56