forecasting [Theme] Page 3

In 1971, the psychologists Danny Kahneman and Amos Tversky decided to torture professors of statistics questions, formulated as statistical issues. One was approximately as follows (for clarity, I changed example): imagine that you live in a city where there are two hospitals - one large, the other small. On a certain day in one of these two hospitals is born with 60% of boys. What hospital this might happen? A Professor made a mistake (during normal conversation), calling a large hospital, while the essence of statistics is that large samples are more stable and have less deviations from the long-term average (in this case 50 percent of each sex) than a small sample. These professors would have failed the exams that they themselves accept. Still working as a quantum engineer, I identified hundreds of such serious mistakes made by statisticians who forgot that they statistics.
№ 258062   Added MegaMozg 18-01-2017 / 17:02
Available to the public information is completely useless, especially for businessman, because the prices usually already "include" all such information; what is known to millions, doesn't give you a real advantage. Anyone of the hundreds of millions of consumers of news, most likely, have already bought you are interested in the paper and thereby raised the price.
№ 258054   Added MegaMozg 18-01-2017 / 17:02
I'm not very interesting "normal". If you want to get an idea of the temperament, moral principles and education is your friend, you have to see it in exceptional circumstances, not rosy everyday. Can you assess the danger posed by the offender, by observing its behavior in a typical day? Can we understand what health, turning a blind eye to the terrible disease and epidemics? The norm often is not important at all.
№ 258047   Added MegaMozg 18-01-2017 / 17:02
Surprising is not the magnitude of our wrong predictions, and that we're not aware of. This is particularly worrisome when we engage in deadly conflicts: wars are unpredictable by their very nature (and we don't know).
№ 258046   Added MegaMozg 18-01-2017 / 17:02
The inability to predict the anomaly leads to the inability to predict the course of history, if we consider the proportion of anomalies in the dynamics of events.
№ 258045   Added MegaMozg 18-01-2017 / 17:02
It is difficult to make predictions, especially about the future.
№ 234475   Added MegaMozg 17-01-2017 / 09:28
To warn is not difficult. You only need to have patience and sarcasm.
№ 213674   Added MegaMozg 15-01-2017 / 16:06
I'm saving your mental health and are one of the greatest longevity in Russian politics. That allowed me to maintain my health? I've never looked further than a year. This is nonsense - the same as to predict oil prices.
№ 191995   Added MegaMozg 13-01-2017 / 15:38