the second world war [Theme] Page 1

May 1940. High school of horse riding in the ancient town of France. Cadets - the offspring of the most noble families - dream of glory, horse riding and balls. But war shatters their romantic dreams. The enemy came close to the city, there will be no arena, no races with obstacles. With the impatience of youth, the cadets are waiting for the beginning of hostilities. And they receive an order: to organize the defense of the city. For several hours, the fighting continued against the real enemy, who brought down on them all the power of artillery. Under bursting shells and bombs, overcoming fear and self-doubt, yesterday's schoolchildren desperately defend their city and their beloved school. Their dedication shocked even the enemy...
Quote Explanation: Edition 2010 Published in Intellectual Bestseller series.
№ 426238   Added MegaMozg 21-08-2021 / 01:09
The peoples were regaining a free face; and in mid-January a new map of Europe was drawn in Yalta. If the troops were still in the war, then their leaders were already working for tomorrow.
Quote Explanation: He saw the war shattering romantic dreams, and realized that many carry a monster inside them, which should not be given food. He watched his time not only with delight, but also with anxiety.
№ 425746   Added Viker 20-08-2021 / 11:13
Alberto Moravia is a classic of world literature, the greatest Italian writer of the 20th century. His novels "Chochara", "The Roman Woman", "Contempt" and many others entered the golden fund of European prose and were repeatedly filmed by the most famous directors. Moravia is cruel and derisive, he never sympathizes with his heroes, but his brilliant knowledge of psychology gives his works a special depth.
Quote Explanation: Alberto Moravia is a classic of world literature, the greatest Italian writer of the 20th century. His novels "Chochara", "The Roman Woman", "Contempt" and many others entered the golden fund of European prose and were repeatedly filmed by the most famous directors. Moravia is cruel and derisive, he never sympathizes with his heroes, but his brilliant knowledge of psychology gives his works a special depth.
№ 424848   Added MegaMozg 04-08-2021 / 19:03
I met him in the Louvre, at the Impressionist paintings, where I spent whole evenings. It was comforting. When I stood in front of the quiet, sun-filled landscapes, I could not believe that the two-legged creature who created all this could at the same time prepare a robbery war. I couldn't believe it. And these illusions for an hour, or two, lowered the mad blood pressure.
№ 423647   Added MegaMozg 18-07-2021 / 12:51
To your last Stalingrad.
№ 417647   Added MegaMozg 26-04-2021 / 16:33
And at night - the Nuremberg prison.
Quote Explanation: The night before the court or the eve of 1946
№ 413788   Added MegaMozg 18-02-2021 / 20:03
Tips shouted that government can control any cook, with Stalin chopped off the heads of anyone who dared even breathe on it again and forged iron. Hitler screamed - one people, one leader, and a blanket of power went hand so that crackling was on the whole Reich. However, only Hitler and Stalin were the titans, all the other politicians rode them in the legs a bunch of pygmies, not yet decided, whether to stay in one pygmy flock, whether to choose titanium.
Only the titans have fallen, gentlemen.
Fate of the titans - rise and fall.
Survive the pygmies.
№ 400122   Added MegaMozg 09-07-2020 / 03:57
I morally get sick if I don't fight. I can tell a lot about current events. But to say only as a soldier, not as a tourist. <...> I do not like war, but can't stay in the rear and not take on their share of risk. <...> It is necessary to fight. But I have no right to talk about it, yet in complete safety walking in the sky over Toulouse. It would be obscene. Give me back my right to be tested. The great spiritual abomination to claim that those who is a some value, it is necessary to keep safe!

Explanation of the quote:

Letter H. (Toulouse, 26 October 1939). Translated from the French by L. M. Ziviani.
[The next day after the announcement by France of war against Germany on 4 September 1939, the captain of the air force reserve Antoine de Saint-Exupery came to your mobilization point. Friends tried to persuade him not to take the risk, assuring that it will bring more use of France as a writer. But he wasn't going to refuse the decision. In a private letter, dated October 1939, before the German invasion of France, he argued his position.]
Quote Explanation: Letter H. (Toulouse, 26 October 1939). Translated from the French by L. M. Ziviani. [The next day after the announcement by France of war against Germany on 4 September 1939, the captain of the air force reserve Antoine de Saint-Exupery came to your mobilization point. Friends tried to persuade him not to take the risk, assuring that it will bring more use of France as a writer. But he wasn't going to refuse the decision. In a private letter, dated October 1939, before the German invasion of France, he argued his position.]
№ 399527   Added MegaMozg 30-06-2020 / 12:54
Few people know that throughout the war Japan was producing oil concession to Soviet (North) Sakhalin. Throughout the war, while American soldiers were dying in the Pacific ocean. Until August 1945, before the Soviet entry into the war. Oil was not very much, but for Japan, any number was important.
Quote Explanation: The statement of the author based on historical fact — the Soviet Union during the war conducted trade relations with Japan, which in Northern Sakhalin until 1944 the Japanese rocked Soviet oil.
№ 397142   Added Viker 07-06-2020 / 13:57